Re: FW: Huge binaries

"Hite, Christopher" <Christopher.Hite@partner.commerzbank.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm upgrading from 4.4.3  => 4.5.2 and the size of my already large
> binaries got even bigger.
>
> 60MB - stripped old or new
> 180MB - old release binary with debug info (-g)
> 1200MB - new compiler with same flags
>
> strings are only a small part of the debug info:
> 45MB - strings <binary>
>
> I'm using a bunch of meta-programming.
>
> Did something big happen between these versions?
> Are there any options between the stripped binary and the 1.2GB version?
> Can I debug a core from a stripped binary using a non-stripped binary?

There is certainly more debug info generated by gcc 4.5.2.  Are you
saying that your stripped binary went from 60MB to 1200MB without
counting any debug info?  That seems difficult to understand.  If that
is what happened you're going to need to track down the specific part of
your program which increased that much.  Using nm --size-sort may help.

Ian