Re: Re : [GCC front end] add new TREE CODE

Ian said in his response that if my language is very different than C I should not use trees. Have you any idea of what I can use instead ?

Hey Asma,

I'm not sure what Ian meant in detail, but I think that he wanted to say that you then shouldn't possibly use the TREE codes and tree-representation of GCC, but to use whatever intermediate representation is appropriate for your needs. If you would look up the literature, you would find tree-based structures as dominant intermediate structure, but most of these books then refer to C-syntax-like languages. Though, it is generally hard to predict which structure perfectly matches your needs. As said, you could use whatever you want. All you need to make sure is to finally translate to GIMPLE at some point.
I look at the ghdl front end and I did not find vhdl-tree.def to see if they
defined a new tree code for this fe.
This file is not mandatory, I think. So, if they don't use one, they might not use additional tree codes. Well, if they use GENERC/tree-based IR at all!

Best regards,
Andi