Re: g++ cross distro compilation problem

Hi Ian and Jonathan,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 January 2011 01:14, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 January 2011 00:39, Nick Stokes ?wrote:
>>>
>>> [..]
>>
>> This indicates that the compiler was built on a system which had the
>> necessary pieces for the C++ runtime library to be configured with
>> --enable-clocale=gnu (it will be used automatically if configure
>> detects it is supported)
>>
>> Apparently on the system where it's installed something is missing.
>> Probably something in glibc, as Ian suggests.
>
> I would try to build gcc on both systems, with the same options, and
> compare the $TARGET/libstdc++-v3/config.log files to see what choice
> of locale model is used.
>
> I expect you'll find a difference. ?You could force the basic model to
> be used with --enable-clocale=generic, which should work the same
> everywhere. ?Ideally though you'd want to find out why the gnu model
> doesn't work, and fix that.

Ian,  you are right on. The versions are different:
compute node (where gcc is built):  /lib64/libc-2.5.so
login node (where gcc is used):  /lib64/libc-2.11.2.so

Jonathan, I looked at the config.logs (attached). Both seem to use gnu.

When I configure with --enable-clocale=generic it indeed remedies the
issue and g++ works without errors. Are the any serious implications
of not using gnu model? (any performance issues, or anything like that
sort?)

Thank you for all these prompt answers.

- Nick