Re: [Off-topic] Wrote the suppressing warnings for GCC section of boost wiki page on Warning Guidelines

On 01/14/2011 03:16 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 14 January 2011 22:05, Patrick Horgan wrote:
I added a section to the boost warnings guidelines page about suppressing
warnings with GCC.  I think it's pretty good bringing together information I
got on this list, from reading the source and from browsing through the
documentation for various releases of GCC.  If anyone wants to check it for
correctness I would be very appreciative.  I would in particular like to
thank Jonathan Wakely for his willingness to help and for the great help he
gave me on this list.

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

If you scroll to the bottom directly you'll see the end of the section on
suppressing GCC warnings.
In the example:

     GCC_DIAG_OFF(sign-compare);
     if(a<  b){
     GCC_DIAG_ON(sign-compare);

It might be worth mentioning that example assumes GCC 4.6, so the
macros work at function-scope (my fault for the bad example.)

And later on, it says "they risk future collision with GCC macros"
While I agree that macros should be named to avoid collisions, macros
defined by GCC will use the reserved namespace, i.e. begin with one or
two underscores followed by an uppercase letter, e.g. __GNUC__,
_GLIBCXX_DEBUG
Thanks, fixed both of these things.

Patrick