Re: Question about Darwin GCC and weak symbol tagging policy

Hello Ian,

I'm using GCC 4.2, which is the one shipped with all the versions of OSX
from 2008 onwards. I wanted to make my application work with this version of
GCC for two reasons:

1) It's the default version shipped with OSX, and if the en user can get my
program to work out of the box, that would be the best. Installing another
version of GCC on OSX takes approximately a gigabyte, unless it is possible
to narrow the installation down to those components that are absolutely
necessary, which most probably requires some advanced knowledge.

2) Apple is not going to switch to later versions of GCC, since the later
ones are under the GPLv3 license, which conflicts with Apple's licensing
policies. That's probably one of the reasons why Apple decided to ditch GCC
altogether and use LLVM for the upcoming Xcode 4.

I'll give a try with a newer version of GCC and try LLVM as well.

Thanks for the information!

Cheers,
Nicolas