Building gcc 4.6 without libiconv

I'm trying to build gcc 4.6 without libiconv. My understanding is that this library is only required for nls support and the java frontend. I'm configuring with --disable-nls and I'm not building the java language.

I've tried --without-libiconv-prefix
I've tried --with-libiconv-prefix=no
I've tried setting with-libiconv-prefix to a directory where libiconv doesn't exist.

Yet the gcc/configure script keeps picking up -liconv. It exists in the same library directory as libmpc, libmpfr, libgmp.

So my questions are simple:

1) can somebody confirm libiconv isn't needed beyond nls and java?
2) Is so, why is configure script still looking for it if those options are disabled?
3) if so, short of patching the configure script, how can gcc be told to not link libiconv.so even if it finds it in a standard location?

Thanks for any help provided!
John