Re: GCC build issues - compilation failure

30.12.2010 16:37, Dan Track kirjoitti:

I now built outside the source dir

cd /opt/mon
tar -xzf gcc-4.5.2.tar.gz
mkdir mybuild
cd mybuild

../gcc-4.5.2/configure (options the same as my first mail in this thread)

error is exactly the same.

Any thoughts on this, could it be the compiler I use which is
gcc-4.1.2 to build the initial compiler with?

The errors came from your 'as' not understanding something :

> /tmp/ccR5VCsN.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccR5VCsN.s:11115: Error: unrecognized symbol type
> "gnu_unique_object"

So the obvious thing is that your '/usr/bin/as' (or something in $PATH
before this) is too old for gcc-4.5.2, fully OK with gcc-4.1.2 however.

I would use Google and see what the "gnu_unique_object" is... My thought
is that is something new after :

[root@localhost ~]# as --version
GNU assembler 2.17.50.0.6-14.el5 20061020

or something which came with gcc-4.1.2, CentOS 5.5 had the previous. I
myself am not building native GCCs nowadays, only cross GCCs and
updating binutils or even building them from scratch is quite a routine
job.

OK, using 'gcc/xgcc -print-search-dirs' in your $BUILD dir would tell
where your new GCC would search for binutils BEFORE going to use PATH.
The expected place is '$prefix/$target/bin' with a cross GCC and the
same place would be used with a native GCC too.

So just build newer binutils with the same $prefix and $target names
as with GCC and then they will be used instead the older ones!