Re: NullPointerException throwed when running GCJ

On 16:01 Wed 29 Dec     , majia gm wrote:
> [...]
> >> is needed. I don't know whether GCJ can live without ECJ, so I
> >> donwload the latest ECJ jar file and recompiled.
> >>
> >> When running GCJ to compile a JAVA source file, I got the following error.
> >>
> >> [root@localhost pxx]# gcj -C HelloWorld.java -v
> >> Using built-in specs.
> >> Target: unicore32-linux
> >> Configured with: /home/vhome/FengYi/pxx/mydir/gcc-4.4.2/configure
> >> --host=unicore32-linux --target=unicore32-linux --prefix=/usr
> >> --build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-shared
> >> --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=java
> >> --with-gnu-ld --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-multilib
> >> --with-pkgversion=UC4_1.0_gama_20101228
> >> Thread model: posix
> >> gcc version 4.4.2 (UC4_1.0_gama_20101228)
> >> COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-fsaw-java-file' '-C' '-v'
> >> '-fbootclasspath=./:/usr/share/java/libgcj-4.4.2.jar' '-g1'
> >> '-fsyntax-only' '-femit-class-files' '-S' '-o' 'NONE' '-shared-libgcc'
> >> ?/usr/libexec/gcc/unicore32-linux/4.4.2/ecj1 HelloWorld.java -g1
> >> -fbootclasspath=./:/usr/share/java/libgcj-4.4.2.jar -g1 -fsource=1.5
> >> -ftarget=1.5 -fzip-dependency /tmp/ccTF9EKh.zip
> >> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
> >> ? ?at 0x1(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x3(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x5(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x5(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x5(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x5(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x5(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0xffffffffffffffff(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x2(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0xffffffffffffffff(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0xffffffffffffffff(Unknown Source)
> >> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> >> ? ?at 0x1(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x5(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?at 0x4(Unknown Source)
> >> ? ?...9 more
> >>

> >> Could anyone give me some hints on how could this happen?
> >> I really appreciate you patience.
> >>

> Hi, David.
>
> Thank you for your reply. It's very nice of you.
>
> When metioned to the stack unwinding code, do you mean the file
> backtrace.h in libjava/sysdeps/arch? It seems some archs don't have
> this file. And ARM has this file, but seems it takes over little
> works.
>
> Actually, the current status of my porting is as follows. I tried gij
> successfully on the target to interpret a simple class file
> HelloWorld.class which is compiled through a x86-gcj on a x86 machine.
> And the gcj on the target also works well to compile the source file
> HelloWorld.java into native executable file. But it fails to compile
> HelloWorld.java into HelloWorld.class through gcj on the target. My
> GCC version is 4.4.2, and the ecj I used is the latest.
>
> I found that when compiling Java sources into class file, the x86-gcj
> use the jc1 instead of ecj.
> The following two questions confusing me. Can gcj live without ecj?
> What's the difference between ecj and jc1? I googled and got little.

ecj does source to bytecode compilation
jc1 does bytecode to native code compilation

gcj requires ecj to translate source code to bytecode.  It was used to
replace the original gcj source code compiler with one that supported
the new Java 1.5 feature set.  I presume you could avoid ecj if you only
ever compiled class files to native code, but I've never tried it.  To
have a complete gcj installation, you do need ecj.

Note that ecj is written in Java and is compiled to native code during
the build of gcj, so it uses the same facilities of gcj as other Java
classes do to run.

You can use gcj -C to just do source to bytecode compilation and turn
a .java file into a .class file.  You can also pass gcj jar and class
files and get it to return native code.

$ gcj -C Test.java
$ file Test.class
Test.class: compiled Java class data, version 49.0 (Java 1.5)
$ gcj -o test.o -c Test.class
$ file test.o
test.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org
PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint = F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8