Re: Re : Re : new gcc front end question

Hey Asma,
what I tried to do, is to avoid the use of Flex Bison (because I did not use
them before and they are old tools ) and I replace those tools by another which
parse my source file and produce directly the generic form !

In my personal opinion, tools like flex and bison are still great tools, but that's a matter of flavor. You'll definitely find other scanner/parser generation tools out there ...

I want to pass the generic form to the gcc and I expect that he could compile it
(i,e. when you specify the -S option, GCC will produce the .s file and will not
link : we stop the GCC :run only cc1 not the as, the same when you specify -c we
stop the GCC just after as we do not call ld : following this approach, I
expected the gcc to start compiling from the Generic form ! but this is not
possible or not implemented yet.

Well, GENERIC is an intermediate representation for the compiler and to my knowledge - there's no formal specification for GENERIC, so yes this is not implemented the way you like to use it.

But, if you're looking for a way to feed GCC with an intermediate representation in plain text form, you might want to have a look at the GIMPLE front-end here http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GimpleFrontEnd.

I don't know the current status of the project, but you could ask for it on the mailing list, but you should use a separate thread (with a new title) so that your questions really gets attention by the right people.

I will take a look at Flex Bison, since this is the only way to implement gcc
front end.

That's not true either. There are various ways/tools to implement a front-end. For example, the C front-end meanwhile uses a hand-written scanner and parser.

Best regards,
Andi