Re: installed directory important (--prefix=)

kevin diggs <diggskevin38@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> kevin diggs <diggskevin38@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Since I am having difficulty getting 4.3.5 to ... cooperate. Can I do
>>> a non-profiled build of ada. Install it to a directory. Then do a
>>> profiled build of everything else and install it to the same place and
>>> not have chaos ensue?
>>
>> I would expect it to work, but it's not like I've tried it.
>>
> Based on your comment below, are you saying that the 'new' gcc will
> not be able to compile ada?

Yes, I would not expect the program named "gcc" to work to compile .ada
files.  However, I believe one normally uses the program named "gnat" to
compile .ada files, and that should continue to work.

>>> If I do a build with enable-languages=ada and then install it will it
>>> overwrite an existing C in the same prefix? (In other words what order
>>> should I do these installs?)
>>
>> It will overwrite the gcc binary itself. ÂThat doesn't matter much
>> unless you use "gcc" to compile code which is not in C, rather than
>> using, say, "g++" or "gfortran".
>>
> Ok, I think I am a little confused. I guess you are saying here that
> gcc stands for gnu compiler collection and not C. I always considered
> it the 'C' driver. It looks like your are saying it is a generic
> driver. Also, is the languages that gcc (the 'driver') understands
> determined at compile time? If so, that will be a problem.

The program named "gcc" is a generic driver which normally works for all
configured languages.  However, each language (except for Objective C)
also has its own driver program, and those driver programs should always
work regardless of whether the program named "gcc" works.  See also the
-x option.

> Playing one of those word games is it true that gnat is to Ada like
> g++ is to c++?

Yes.

> If so, using the appropriate switches can I compile C
> with gnat?

Probably.

Ian