Re: building gcc 4.4.5 from source on Fedora 13

Why don't you just install the necessary (x86_64 and i686) packages on
those other machines?
If I am building from source (SRPMs) I expect everything to be built and not scramble around looking for additional RPMs which are part of the same package I am supposedly building 'from source'.

Yep, but didn't we already establish you don't need to anyway, you're
just ranting about a spec file which does what it's designed to do,
but not what you want?
Aye, if by above you mean that gcc.spec is designed to compile sixty-four-bit-only GCC, including support for such commonly-used programming languages like ada, GCC-Java (no Fedora distribution should be without it!), giving the grant total of zero flexibility to configure any part of the GCC built, than gcc.spec does an absolutely marvellous job - no question!

Oh, of course, I nearly forgot the tests - watching that mighty, freshly-compiled sixty-four-bit-only GCC perform number-crunching for two whole hours as part of that built and seeing those numbers roll on my screen is just a jot to watch - absolutely magnificent!

If, on the other hand, one wants to build GCC which truly cross-compiles, has the ability to exclude languages which are not needed during that built (and save some built time in the process), has the ability to exclude the tests (which take 2/3 of the build up, no less) and expect at the end of that built to have all the necessary GCC packages which enable it to function properly - as a cross-compiler, then the current version of gcc.spec does NOT do that and is unsuitable for that purpose.

Just install the necessary packages using yum.
As I already pointed out I, as a user, do not expect to play the role of RPM and chase dependencies all day long - I expect when I select GCC to be installed (whether via yum, yumdownloader or the rpm itself) and, as it has already been established GCC is, supposedly, pre-built by Fedora to be a 'cross-compiler', then I expect all the necessary dependencies (x86_64 and i686 alike) to be satisfied when that package is installed.

This is not the case - as it turns out the GCC package offered by Fedora is NOT a cross-compiler, but it is sixty-four-bit-only version of the GCC and if one wants a truly cross-compiling GCC it has to spend a week or so on this mailing list to find out what is required.