Re: SO vs DSO

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

Recently I was asked if a object supported dynamic loading. I believe
the underlying question is "shared object" versus "dynamic shared
object". The best I can tell, I getting back lots of useless
information during a search.

(1) How does on tell a SO and DSO apart?

They are often the same. At first glance, on unix-like systems, libthing.so.1 is meant for regular linking while file.so is for dlopening, but you are free.

(2) How does one stop an adversary from using them incorrectly?

I don't think you want to think of it as an adversary. Just proper documentation.

I was thinking a flag might be present, similar to RFC3514 - The
Security Flag in the IPv4 Header. That is, there's a gentleman's
agreement if a particular bit is set, the attacker will not misuse the
object.

GNU ld provides -z nodlopen, which I assume sets some kind of flag. You may want to read the documentation of your linker since you seem to be interested...

--
Marc Glisse