GCC compiling on irix 6.5.22

I am compiling gcc on irix 6.5. I have 4.2.4 successfully build and installed on an r4400 iris 6.5.22 indy. from there I tried to build 4.5.0, which generated an ICE on a instruction not satisfying prereqs, *deep* into the 2nd stage build (it had already built all of binutils (I am doing the integrated binutils build), and the gen* programs, and run them)... 4.5.1 cam out shortly after.. and I ran it.. same, then I backed down to 4.4.4.. same, and 4.3.5 same. the exact instruction that generates the ICE is different, and they are in different places in each of the 4.x.y builds, but for a GIVEN 4.x.y build it is always the same, and overall in the GCC build itself it is always in roughtly the same spot (2nd stage after the gen* programs are run, typically in optab.c).

I am relatively confident of my 4.2.4 build it passed its own 3 stage build test, additionally all of the software that I have built with it, including Perl, GMP, MPC, MPFR, PPL, Cloog-ppl have all passed their internal test-suites; it would seem if there was anything MAJOR wrong, it would have tripped there.

Ideas?

--
David E. Cross