Re: Making a direct function call from inline assembly

On Friday 13 August 2010 11:08:05 you wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 05:44 PM, Job Noorman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to make a direct function call from inline assembly like this:
> >     asm("call %0" : : "i"(func));
> >
> > This doesn't work because GCC will generate something like
> >
> >     call $mangledFunc
> >
> > which will give an assembly error.
> > Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Job
> >
> > PS: I know I can do something like
> >
> >     asm("call *%0" : : "r"(func));
> >
> > But then it's not a direct call anymore.
> >
> > PPS: I also posted this question on StackOverflow:
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3467180/direct-call-using-gccs-inline-
> > assembly
>
> I don't know why you get an assembly error.  It would help a great
> deal if you provided an actual compilable example that displays the
> problem, preferably for x86.  It's impossible to answer your question
> because there is not enough information.
>
> Andrew.
Ok here it goes:

//file main.cpp
void func() {}

int main()
{
    //this works but GCC generates an indirect call:
    //    movl $_Z4funcv, %eax
    //    call *%eax
    asm("call *%0" : : "r"(func));

    //this is what I conceptually want to do but doesn't work because
    //GCC generates
    //    call $_Z4funcv
    //which gives an error from the assembler:
    //    main.cpp: Assembler messages:
    //    main.cpp:20: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `call'
    //I would like to find a way to make GCC generate the following:
    //    call _Z4funcv
    //(note there is no "$")
    asm("call %0" : : "i"(func));
}