Re: Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : [GCC front end] trying to install sample_fe but fail in make

Hey all

On 24 June 2010 17:06, Andi Hellmund <mail@andihellmund.com> wrote:
> But, as Philip already said, we're working on a more complete front-end
> for demonstration purpose and for documentation purpose of the front-end
> infrastructure.

Yeah but yeah if your working on a front-end don't be afraid to ask us
questions any time its nice to have more people interested in
developing GCC front-ends. In fact it would be great to simply share
the experiences.

GCC the more and more I've worked with it, the interfaces and
structures you get to work with to build a front-end are actually
really powerful and you get access to all the lovely optimizations gcc
will do. Its just a pity there was no documentation prior to this but
that's what were working on :).

But yeah as I said Front-ends to look at now that you have a
'skeleton' would be mine:

http://code.redbrain.co.uk/cgit.cgi/gcc-dev/tree/?h=python

GccGO:

http://code.redbrain.co.uk/cgit.cgi/gcc-dev/log/?h=gccgo

Fortran's front-end is ok in some cases but really i only found it
helpful in getting the bare bones together. But once you get a parser
down to some kind of AST for your language your going to have to spend
a lot of time looking how GENERIC works its really powerful but quite
confusing. I think what is confusing when reading through other
front-end code its sometimes hard to tell whether the code is calling
tree API code or if it is front-end specific code, since the tree api
is not prefixed with anything.

--Phil