Re: Link For Download

On 10-05-29 1:34 PM, AndrewMcHorney wrote:
Ready to run and install

At 11:36 AM 5/29/2010, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am looking to find the location where I can download the GCC
> compiler. It is a bit confusing. Would someone please point me to the
> best link via either ftp or http?

Do you want the sources or a working ready to run compiler ?

Here's a link to the GCC website with a listing of the binaries that you can download:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

On Windows, you would probably want to install the MinGW binaries, or the gcc that is packaged with Cygwin:

http://www.mingw.org/
http://www.cygwin.com/

On Linux, the best way to obtain binaries is by using your updater (such as apt, yum, yast) and installing the gcc package. Note that in order to build things properly, you will have to install other tools such as "make." These, along with the gcc compiler suite, can often be conveniently installed using a package such as "build essential." For example, using apt, you can type the following at a command-prompt, "apt-get install build-essential" and both the compiler and required build utilities will be automagically installed for you.

On Mac OS X, the quickest way to install gcc is by using the Apple build tools:

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/xcode.html

HTH,

Nicholas