Option not supported error in GCC cross compilation

Hi All,
   I am trying to build a GCC that generates COFF format object file
for SPARC architecture. I am building it on i586-Linux.
   I first built a cross GNU binuitils by specifying :
--target=sparc-coff. It looks like this step is successful.
   However, the build of GCC failed, and the make process terminated
by reporting that "sparc-unknown-coff option is not supported". I am
newbie in building a cross GCC. not sure if this means that I did
something wrong or GCC can not be built in such way.
   Any ideas/ suggestions?

  Thanks a lot.

tony