Re: prefix, etc. with dollar or tilde?

Jay K <jay.krell@cornell.edu> writes:

> it might be nice if I could say e.g. -prefix=~/gnu.
>   Currently prefix must be a full path.

Unix does not have any path like ~/gnu.  The ~ is, by convention,
expanded by the shell to something like /home/gnu.  So this idea does
not make sense on Unix.  Real VMS support probably requires redefining
the notion of a path in some way.  E.g., DOS pathnames are also
different, and the toolchain has support for that centered on
include/filenames.h.  I'm sure VMS will require different kinds of
support, but that seems to me like the place to start.

> Might also be nice for gcc to look in its own directory for cc1, or heck, even .h and .a/.lib files?

That would be an extremely bad idea.  gcc should not change behaviour
based on the directory where you run it.  (Unless you explcitly add
the current directory to various environment variables, which is in
itself a bad idea.)

Ian