Re: Help building basic cross-compiler

So when the flag -DL_fixunssfsi is passed to compile libgcc2.c, the system
will try to find the limits.h file which is part of the newlib, but I don't
want newlib.

You can use glibc, uclibc, or newlib. Or create your own, naturally.

I've tried several different configurations and versions of GCC. As far as I know, versions GCC-3.X work, but GCC-4.X don't :(.

My goal is to have the most basic cross-compiler possible, not dependent on
any system or library that will use it. I also would like not to have to
apply a patch to GCC in order to do this.

The short answer is no. GCC needs to build libgcc for the target environment, so you need to select which environment it will use. This is why the routine is looking for limits.h (and likely other include files).

It might be possible to look through libgcc2.c and see if there are any
build options which might avoid most of the uses of headers supplied by
one of the libraries.  But you are not likely to find any standard
configure triplet which does this.

Why do you want to build a compiler without specifying the library?

-- Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com 1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077