Re: Starting an OpenMP parallel section is extremely slow on a hyper-threaded Nehalem

On 2/11/2010 6:57 AM, Tim Prince wrote:
On 2/11/2010 6:35 AM, Edwin Bennink wrote:
Thanks Tim, I thought that the gcc list was the most appropriate one regarding the gomp implementation, but I'll post this question on the gcc-help list.

In order to assist rapid replacement of parallel regions, such as your example, most OpenMP libraries have a latency setting before a parallel region is wound down automatically. Then, when the regions are identical, some of the setup is skipped, and private data may be inherited. It still doesn't perform as well as retaining a single parallel region.
For the intel library, the default latency KMP_BLOCKTIME is 0.2 second, which some people consider far too small, and others too large. I don't immediately see an equivalent for this setting in libgomp manual.

--
Tim Prince