Re: Summary of exceptions support limitations in GCC 2.95.3

Jan RingoÅ <jringos@tds.cz> writes:

> since unable to upgrade the firmware in embedded devices I develop
> for, I am stuck with GCC 2.95.3 (crosscompiler for ARM armv4tl), ELF
> target (elf2flt), Linux kernel 2.6.19 and binutils 2.14 20030612, and
> uCLibC 0.9.26 and STLPort (some version from 1999).
>
> My question, because googling and browsing vast maillists archives
> took me nowhere, is:
> Is there some kind of list of C++ features that don't work or are
> broken in GCC 2.95.3. I am especially interested in exceptions and
> RTTI. Exceptions seems to work for me only partially (if thrown once
> in the program's lifetime) and I would like to know if that, although
> wrong, behavior is consistent and/or described somewhere in detail.
>
> And maybe the problem is somewhere else and not in GCC, there is no
> mention of C++ exceptions in
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_7.html
> I will be grateful for any help or hint.

Unfortunately there are all kinds of C++ features that don't work in
gcc 2.95.3.  Current versions of gcc are much more standard compliant.

gcc 2.95.3 used a completely different exception handling mechanism
than current gcc.  I no longer remember how it worked.  As I recall it
did usually work as long as you didn't do anything odd.

gcc 2.95.3 did have RTTI.

I don't know of any documentation about what does and does not work
with regards to C++ in 2.95.3.  It's not the kind of document any gcc
developer would be likely to write.

Sorry this isn't much help.

Ian