Re: running g95 via cygwin

Alison Dobbin wrote:
Hi

I hope this is the correct place for this question and if not maybe
you could point me to where I might find more help.

I’d like the use the F95 compiler via cygwin (on Windows Vista). I’ve
installed it as per instructions on this page:
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinariesCygwin?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=cygwin&titlesearch=Titles

when I type:> gfc –version

I get a Microsoft pop up error box saying "gfortran.exe. has stopped
working. A problem caused the program to stop working. Windows will
close the program."

Any idea on how I can sort this out?

Thanks
Alison

I will assume you aren't mixing in g95 (a different compiler, not topical here). gfortran developers probably glance at this list often enough; the fortran@gcc.gnu.org would be more on target.
If you followed those instructions (and had installed gcc or binutils from the cygwin install menu), the gfc symlink would work only under one of the cygwin shells (normally bash). It would not work in a Windows CMD shell. If you intend to run under CMD, you may prefer the mingw32 version of gfortran.
If the symlink doesn't work, you should check whether you can run gfortran by its full path name (also under a cygwin shell). If "gfc" is broken, you can "rm gfc" and create it over again.