Re: Compilation problems on Ubuntu 64-bit

Hi,

I've got it to work, by adding a 'main' function to my shared object code.

I don't understand why I need to do this though. I didn't think that 'main' functions were required in shared objects, and when I compile using the shell, it compiles ok without one. When I used the same code on my old system, it worked without needing to add one, even in the exec function executions.

Could this be a bug in GCC? The version I'm using currently is 4.3.3.

Alternatively, is there another option I should add when using exec functions to call GCC to prevent the need for adding 'main' functions?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Marcus Clyne wrote:
I've tried adding all the elements in the environment, but it still doesn't work. :-(

Is there any reason why gcc/ld called from exec functions would have different options set (other than those relating to the environment) compared to being called from within a shell?

Marcus.

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Marcus Clyne <maccaday@gmail.com> writes:

I think I need to add something to the environment, but am not sure what.

We don't know either. I recommend running printenv to see what you have in your environment, adding all of it to your execve call, verify that it works, and then remove items one by one until it fails.

Ian