Re: Build error on Solaris 10 (libiconv messages)

Marc Glisse wrote:

iconv is part of libc on Solaris (like on Linux). However, as many people either prefer the GNU implementation or don't understand the issue, one can usually find a libiconv on Solaris systems. You then have two versions of the header iconv.h, and need to be consistent in the library you link with. If you include the system iconv.h, you are fine. If you include the one from libiconv, you need to link with libiconv. As many people install gnu software in /usr/local and gcc looks there by default, people end up using the iconv.h from libiconv without meaning to.

Hope this helps,

Yes thank you, it does help. I've got a build of gcc working now, which depended on that in /usr/local (I must have installed it myself some time). I'd much rather make use of it from /usr/lib/iconv if that is possible. I'll watch out for what you say.