Re: operating system build

> hi,
> not sure if this is the right email or place, but I want to make a linux
> operating system and don't know where to start. I have seen linux from
> scratch and thats not how i want to build. I want to use the 2.4 kernel
> and apps i want. do i use a compiler and do i have to know how to program
> or what?
> thanks

Linux From Scratch is the *right* place for you to start for a great many
reasons. Not the least of which is that you will discover all the things
that you do not know. At the moment, based on your email message and the
questions you ask, I suspect you have never gone through the process
before.

The building of "A GNU Linux System" or OpenSolaris(tm) ( A UNIX System )
may be filled with demons and monsters that you do not have the charms to
battle. The path is filled with terrible scary things and numerous places
where you will get lost. Possibly forever. However, thankfully, there have
been crusades by Knights of the Foss Order who have slashed and burned a
clear path for you. Be thankful to them and show respect when you see
their bloodied and scarred bodies to and fro about you as you walk
peacefully, whilst sipping a frappuccino.

You need to follow the LFS steps at least once and if you get a good
result then and ONLY THEN do you sit back and think about straying from
the path of the righteous.

Dost thou understand all that I have told you ?

Dennis Clarke
http://www.blastwave.org/