not able to debug threads - gcc configuration problem?

Hello,

I have been attempting to compile a cross-toolchain, to use over Cygwin, for a PowerPC target.

So far i have been able to compile and run a multi-threaded program on board.

The trouble is, i haven't been able to debug threads with GDB:

1. when i dont set breakpoints in the thread - the gdb breaks on _pthread_sigsuspend upon the pthread_create call, and the program continues to completion
when i say "c".

2. when i set a breakpoint in the thread, upon pthread_create the program exits (with exit value 0), and the gdb reports "program exited normally".

Luckily, i do have a fine installation of montavista, so i did a little test: i compiled the same basic program on the montavista, ran it on the board
and attempted debugging it with my cygwin gdb. THIS ONE WORKED! my gdb reported threads and agreed to break upon thread breakpoints.

therefor, my problem is not in the GDB itself.

i also took my Cygwin-compiled program, ran it on the board and tried debugging it from the montavista gdb - this one failed in pretty much the same way
i described above.

i suspect either my toolchain configuration is bad, or my Cygwin installation is missing something.

the toolchain configuration i used is:

TARGET=powerpc-603e-linux-gnu
TARGET_CFLAGS="-O -mcpu=603e"
GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG="--with-cpu=603e --enable-cxx-flags=-mcpu=603e"

BINUTILS_DIR=binutils-2.16.1
GCC_CORE_DIR=gcc-3.3.6
GCC_DIR=gcc-4.1.0
GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.3.6
LINUX_DIR=linux-2.6.15.4
LINUX_SANITIZED_HEADER_DIR=linux-libc-headers-2.6.12.0
GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME=glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.6
GDB_DIR=gdb-6.5

any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Lidar