Re: Problem building GCC 4.2.1 for Solaris 8

I believe that I remember what the issue was. It had to do with which shell to execute the make in. In any case, as Kai Ruottu pointed out, the answer was in the installation docs.

Garey Mills

PS. I took a quick scan, and here it is, from the sun-solaris2 part of the hardware specific install instructions

The Solaris 2 /bin/sh will often fail to configure libstdc++-v3, boehm-gc or libjava. We therefore recommend using the following initial sequence of commands

       % CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh
       % export CONFIG_SHELL

and proceed as described in the configure instructions <http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html>. In addition we strongly recommend specifying an absolute path to invoke srcdir/configure.

Kai Ruottu wrote:
powell_dan@emc.com wrote:

It's interesting that I have come across the exact same problem that
Garey Mills did.  Was there ever a follow-up to his posting?

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2007-09/msg00179.html

The usual reason could be that the "Prerequisites" was not read from the Install instructions at gcc.gnu.org... Like that using GNU make is obligatory...