Re: Request about adding a new micro support

Alessio Igor Bogani <alessioigorbogani@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Sir Taylor,
>
> 2009/5/22 Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>:
>> Alessio Igor Bogani <alessioigorbogani@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> How can I add to sdcc support for a 8-bit micro (Harvard architecture)?
>>> An RTFM link would be really appreciated. :-)
>>
>> The gcc-help mailing list is for the gcc compiler. ÂWe can't help you
>> with sdcc.
>
> Sorry my mistake. I meant gcc.

Ah.  gcc supports some 16-bit microprocessors.  I'm not aware of any
public ports for an 8-bit microprocessor.  It's certainly doable, but
generally on an 8-bit microprocessor code size is paramount.  gcc's
optimizations are tuned better for performance than for code size.
Also, code code on 8-bit microprocessors can require optimizations which
gcc is particularly weak at, such as good use of auto-increment, and
coalescing register offsets.

If you are not an experienced gcc developer, actually doing the port is
a fairly difficult task.  The documentation for doing a new port is
reasonably good but it does not tell you everything you need to know.
It is available online at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/ .

There are professional companies and individuals you can hire to do a
gcc port.  If this is for a commercial project it will generally be more
cost-effective to hire an expert to do the work.

Ian