Re: Help with libmpfr

Carol LePage wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please tell me how to get gcc 4.4.0 to build, with or without
> libmpfr?
> I am trying to install it on IA64.  I have tried installing libmpfr in
> my directory, and
> --with-mpfr, and I have tried making the "mpfr" directory in the
> gcc-4.4.0 directory,
> and I have tried installing libmpfr in /usr/local, but no matter what I
> try, I can't
> get past cc1.  Here is the most recent error:
>
> ./cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open
>
> This was when I had installed libmpfr in /usr/local, and configured with
> --with-mpfr=/usr/local.
> What do I have to do to get it to find the library?  I guess this is a
> desirable feature, but I could
> do without it, if it is a huge problem to get it to work.   Is there any
> way to build a compiler
> that doesn't need it?

Early versions of mpfr didn't build shared libraries by default.  Such old
versions would no longer be useful.  Configure has a minimum version
requirement for recognition of mpfr.
If your mpfr is actually installed, e.g. in /usr/local/lib, do you need to
specify more of the path to configure?  My preference is to replace
entirely the mpfr in /usr/lib, so there isn't any problem with picking up
wrong versions, or need for --with-mpfr.
I don't believe there is a satisfactory version of gfortran which builds
without mpfr.  For the other compilers, I suppose dropping back to 4.3 may
avoid use of mpfr.
I may try updating my IA64 gcc today; I haven't done it recently enough.