Help with libmpfr

Hi,

Could you please tell me how to get gcc 4.4.0 to build, with or without libmpfr?
I am trying to install it on IA64. I have tried installing libmpfr in my directory, and
--with-mpfr, and I have tried making the "mpfr" directory in the gcc-4.4.0 directory,
and I have tried installing libmpfr in /usr/local, but no matter what I try, I can't
get past cc1. Here is the most recent error:

./cc1: error while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This was when I had installed libmpfr in /usr/local, and configured with --with-mpfr=/usr/local.
What do I have to do to get it to find the library? I guess this is a desirable feature, but I could
do without it, if it is a huge problem to get it to work. Is there any way to build a compiler
that doesn't need it?

thanks,
-carol