Re: gcc & Coldfire

You need to build a cross-compiler for your target.

"./configure, make, make install" by default builds a native compiler for the host.

Matthew

Gre7g Luterman wrote:
Hey list -

I've been using gcc for ages now, but I've never gotten the feel that
I really understand how it does what it does, y'know? So please bear
with me...

I'm on a new project, writing code for the Coldfire 5275. This is the
first time I've compiled anything for the m68k family with gcc.

My boss gave me some gcc 2.95.3 binaries that seem to work, but damn,
that version is ancient (early 2001). I'd really like to use something
a little more modern.

I installed gcc under cygwin (not sure what version at this point) and
tried to compile with that, but that version of gcc didn't understand
-m5200, even though it is in the man. I figured (this may be dumb on
my part) that when they built the gcc they distribute for cygwin, that
perhaps they configured the m68k libraries out (since most people
using gcc under cygwin wouldn't need it). So I grabbed a source copy
of gcc 3.4.6 and compiled that under whatever gcc cygwin installed.

Sadly, that didn't help. When I try to compile, I still get the same
sort of error:

/usr/local/bin/gcc.exe -c -O3 -I../include -m5200 -w -gdwarf-2 -std=c99 cdu.c
cc1: error: invalid option `5200'
cdu.c:1: error: target system does not support the "dwarf-2" debug format
make: *** [cdu.o] Error 1

I realize that probably doesn't give you much to go on, but can anyone
take a STAB (heh, sorry, couldn't resist) at what I am doing wrong?
When I built gcc, I didn't exclude anything. I just did a default
./configure, make, make install, etc.

Many thanks,

Gre7g