Port GCC to Mac OS9?

Hi,

Sorry for the length of this post.

Please don't laugh me out of here. I'm a developer that recently got involved in the vintage Macintosh community when I decided to fix up my old 12" iBook G3 600 (that had been sitting on a shelf for years) to use basically for a netbook. There are still many people with old macs running Apple OS9 that still run great and these die hard mac fans just seem to prefer the Classic OS.

With my motivation stated above, is there any way possible to port a newer GCC based Toolchain (at least 3.3?) to OS9 using the old dev tools I have like MPW or Codewarrior 7? I believe this would encourage a new developer community to form much like it did around OS/ 2 Warp - eCS and Amiga once open source dev tools were created. It would finally be possible to port existing open source software like modern web browsers to the OS9 Platform. I believe there are many more people actively using OS9 than Warp and Amiga put together.

Please give me some advice or direction here.

Thanks,

Jay