Re: -frepo in 4.4 snapshot fails

Edek PieÅkowski <spojenie@o2.pl> writes:

> On x86 I'm trying to remove everything unneeded. I am working on
> removing references to log4cxx, but I think I cannot really remove
> boost (smart_ptr). Would it be ok to post a bug report and say "you
> need boost to reproduce (and log4cxx). Just the includes, not the
> libraries..."? Or should I work on extracting just the needed headers
> from boost and bundle together what is left?

It's unfortunately difficult to answer.  Leaving in the references to
boost and log4cxx would at least make it possible for somebody else to
reproduce.  However, since it would be harder, it makes it less likely
that anybody will take the time to fix the bug.  On the other hand,
producing a test case without those will take more time to you.  As a
volunteer project, there is only so much time available to do actual
work.  I would say that you should put in as much effort as you are
willing to take, and then file the bug with what you have left.

> And is it all worth it, maybe in a snapshot such things are usual?

Problems in snapshots are normal, but gcc 4.4 is supposed to be almost
ready for release at this point.  I don't see any obviously related open
bugs with -frepo (unless this is an instance of
http://gcc.gnu.org/PR11247).  So this is worth reporting even though it
is in a snapshot.

Ian