RE: installing GCC

I thought the OP simply did not realize that a C compiler is necessary
to build the gcc!

I think the OP might find that other packages that are required might
also be missing in a CD-sized distribution, and hopefully this project's
Prerequisites page is up-to-date and inclusive enough.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html

(it does mention that a C compiler is necessary,  and gives some more
detail about which type of C compiler, I see)

Indeed though I'm not really  a newbie anymore to the variosu
distributions, having used several, I still find it sometimes confusing
to figure out what the name of the PACKAGE that contains a certain
program or utility actually is, especailly when several utilities are
rolled into one package (like "build-essential").

But, most distros have some sort of package searching web utility.

Debian and friends (no doubt including Ubuntu) have an 'apt-get
build-dep' and, probably, issuing (as root or via sudo) 'apt-get
build-essential' and  'apt-get build-dep gcc' should pull all the
necessary tools to build the version of gcc that is included in the
distro. If these dependencies differ between that version and the one
the user is actually trying to build, then the user must address these
differences.

I've been using plain Debian but also pure:dyne (debian-derived cd or
usb live distro for music and visual art) and indeed gcc got left off
that one though it is nto clear to me if that was intentional or not!  (
a recent pre-release had a BROKEN gcc due to incomplete or incorrect
dependency specifications, for example)