Re: Where did the warning go?

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 03:24:41 +0100, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>
wrote:

"Eivind LM" <eivliste@online.no> writes:

So the problem seems to be that my g++-4.1 includes the -Wconversion
by  default, while the others don't. Is the set of default warnings
known to  vary between versions and platforms?

The warning options don't vary between platforms. They do vary between versions.

See, e.g., http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html which mentions a
change to -Wconversion.

The changelog mentions a change in the way -Wconversion works, it does not mention that -Wconversion is not anymore a part of -Wall. Anyway, my observation was that warnings about conversion were included in version 4.1, and not in 4.2, so the change should be mentioned in the 4.2 changelog. I cannot find it there though. This is not a problem for me anymore though (after I found the -Wconversion flag), it just seems odd.

Next question: Does the -Wall flag have a long and complicated history? The name indicates that it enables ... well, uh, ... *all* warnings. (Yes, i should have read the docs more carefully.)

I would like to compile my code with absolutely as many compiler warnings
enabled as possible, and then selectively deactivate the ones that I
cannot avoid in a reasonable way. Once upon a time I found a flag with a
convincing name (-Wall). Then after a while I found a new flag which
gave me more warnings (-Wextra). Then now I realized that -Wconversion is not
included even if i use -Wall and -Wextra.

Is there a way to enable absolutely all? -Weverything? :)

Eivind