Re: Understanding alignment in g++

Andrew Haley wrote:
Yang Zhang wrote:
Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Yang Zhang <yanghatespam@gmail.com> writes:

I expected a cast-align warning or something.
If you use -Wcast-align you should get a warning for targets where the
cast increases the required alignment.
Sorry for being unclear.  I was trying to say that I had specified
-Wcast-align but got no such warning.  Any hints?

`-Wcast-align' Warn whenever a pointer is cast such that the required alignment of the target is increased. For example, warn if a `char *' is cast to an `int *' on machines where integers can only be accessed at two- or four-byte boundaries.

but on x86 there is no such restriction.

Andrew.

So __alignof__/alignment_of<> have nothing to do with the required alignment of the type, but have instead to do with the gcc-determined "default alignment" of the type?

Is there something analogous to __alignof__ that can tell me the required alignment? (E.g., if I'm serializing data and trying to pack together everything without padding...)
--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/