Is it possible to detect the memory status ?

Hi,

I am wondering whether it is possible to detect that a memory is already
freed or not in a C program.
Like if there is some pointer which points to certain memory and I want it
to free but the problem is that it may already be freed.
is there any routine which can tell me that if the memory is freed or not
and does the memory belongs to the constant string (which is global) ?

If this is not available with the current compilers, is it possible to
implement such library functions ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Mustafa