How to let GCC know of new targets?

Greetings,

I have a backend for my target processor (=dlx), all files (dlx.md, ...) are there. I already made a directory in src_gcc/gcc/config/dlx and put the machine description and other files there. I just want to know what is the proper way to add this backend to gcc so that gcc becomes aware of this new target and we can configure and make for the target?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
Navid