Re: gcc Build Warnings

"Tom Browder" <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> "Tom Browder" <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is there any way that gcc pragmas could be used to suppress all the
>>> warnings that appear when building gcc?
>>
>> The easiest way would be to use the -w command line option.
>>
>> In gcc 4.3 and later you can use #pragma GCC diagnostic.
>
> Um, actually, I was thinking about the gcc developers using some
> method of suppressing those warnings that are known by them to be
> caused by their intentional coding choices--or maybe making one of the
> default CFLAGS options to be -w.
>
> It seems to me that a person building gcc should not see warnings due
> to intentional developer-induced code.

Sorry, I didn't quite understand your question.  In general we gcc
developers don't want to suppress warnings that occur when building
gcc.  In fact, during development we use -Werror, making all warnings
be errors, so normally gcc builds with no warnings at all.  Of course,
after release, it's possible that using different compilers or other
tools can produce warnings.  I agree that it would be reasonable to
have a configure option to disable warning generation.

Ian