Re: gcc-4.3.2 native build failed

Checking multilib configuration for libgcc...
Configuring stage 1 in i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
See `config.log' for more details.
make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1

I encoutered this the other day when compiling up gcc 4.3.2 on Centos 4 in a way that I hadn't encountered before.
I investigated the config.log file and determined that it couldn't find the libmpfr shared library. I exported LD_LIBRARY_PATH to contain /usr/local/lib and that solved the problem.

However it did seem odd to me, and result is that gcc neds to have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to include /usr/local/lib in order to run, rather than having the full path to libmpfr coded in it. This is in fact causing us issues with getting the environment set when executing over ssh etc.
So suplemental question is whether this has just patched a more underlying problem.