COFF file issues

Hi All

I am currently compiling in AIX 5.3 using gcc 4.2.3. However, am using
AIX ld instead of GNU ld as I had problems previously and was adviced to
use AIX ld by couple of members of this group after which I did not get
the link errors. Now I keep getting

Collect2: libsample.a: Not a COFF file   error.

Where libsample.a is user library and this name varies from compile to
compile. What is this error and is there any way that I can overcome
this. I would very much appreciate your help and advice.

With Regards

Vardhan