UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32

Hello GCC,

Now I have had the time to pull myself off the ceiling, I realise the problem is that Unix/GCC is supporting both UTF-8 and UTF-32, while Windows is supporting UTF-8 and UTF-16. And the solution is for both Unix and Windows to support all three Unicode formats.

I have had to spend the last several days totally writing from scratch the UTF-16 string functions, and realise that with a bit of common sense every thing can work out okay. Hopefully quick action to move wchar_t to 2 bytes and create another type for 4 byte strings, we can see a lot of problems solved. Maybe have UTF-16 strings with L"My String" and UTF-32 with LL"My String" notations.

I hope your steering committee can see that there will be lots of UTF-16 text files out there, with a lot of code required to be written to process those files and while UTF-8 will not support many none Latin based languages, UTF-32 will not support many none Human base languages - i.e. no signal system is fault free.

Thanks,
Dallas
http://www.ekkySoftware.com/