Renaming symbols in a shared library

Hello All,

I have two versions of a same library that I want to load in the same address space. However, because the dependency is not direct, I cannot make use of dlopen to load the library. I require your inputs regarding other possible approaches to achieve this. Please note that the library is a third party library and I don't have its code to rebuild it.

I think we can rename the symbols of a shared library, given just the shared library. Is that possible? If it is, can some one point to me a resource where I can learn to rename symbols of one version of a library?

Is there any better approach? I am trying to find an approach that is portable to other systems. However, please do share any system specific approaches too, so that I can understand what are all the possible options.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Best Regards,
Hari