Re: Assembler instructions not being created correctly for mutiplication in GCC

Andrew Haley wrote:

> Why are you doing
>     -e 0x0000 -T Cmpware.lnk
> ?

As I'm new to installing things this way (completely new to Linux in
general) I was told by some coworkers to follow the instructions on the
CMPWare website, as we were aiming to do some testing on the CMP-DK program.
As I am just blindly following some steps because I don't understand them
yet, I'll quote the CMPWare document.

"Now that a Sparc binary has been we have produced a successfully, it is
time to return to the problem of getting an executable file rather than a
linkable object file. The linker expects a crt0.o file to be present by
default. But this can be changed and new instructions given to the linker. A
linker directive file named Cmpware.lnk is shown in Appendix A. This file
just places the main code in the default .text section at
address zero, with other program data following. The linker command below
links the object file into an executable ELF / DWARF file.
 $ /usr/local/sparc-elf/bin/ld -g -e 0x0000 -T Cmpware.lnk -o Test.elf
Test.o"

I've read it a few times and am still not too certain what it's doing. If
this was meant simply for the sample code in the document, then I guess I
don't need to use it. I think the Cmpware.lnk is just taking the code in the
*.o file and moving it into a *.elf file and assuming it'll run. As you can
tell from the very poor grammar in the first sentence of the quote, the
documentation isn't exactly well written, so I'm having a slow time
understanding exactly how this all works.

Thanks,
~Mike