Include path problem

Hello! I'm writing about an include path problem I'm having.  I wasn't able to find help in the manual.

I'm trying to compile a short C++ program that includes a number of header files in a subdirectory of /usr/include.  On of them has an include statement that includes another header in a different subdirectory, specifically:

#include

The compiler complains that it can't find this header, however the header exists at /usr/include/glibmm/ustring.h.  Based on my understanding of how the include path works, it should find this file, but it's complaining that it doesn't, so apparently my understanding is wrong.

Any light that anyone can shed would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cooper
http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_062008