Re: Wno-packed flag not working?

"John Morrison" <JMorrison@printronix.com> writes:

> I would like to know if I'm making the wrong assumption about the
> Wno-packed compile flag.  Should not this flag turn off warning messages
> like this
>
> 	warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for field of type 'UCH'

Probably it should.  As you know, what -Wno-packed does is disable
warnings of the form "packed attribute is unnecessary for field NAME".

You neglected to mention which version of gcc you are using; at least
in gcc 4.3 the warning you mention is controlled by -Wattributes (as
can be seen by using -fdiagnostics-show-option).  Probably it should
be controlled by -Wpacked instead.

I would encourage you to file a bug report at
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ .  Thanks.

Ian