Re: Where should libiberty.a be installed?

IainS wrote:

> Note that (gcc) "make install-html" installs "libiberty.html" into
> the doc dirs which says (amongst other things):
>
> -- that the library is used by "various GNU programs"
>
> --  " Passing --enable-install-libiberty to the configure script when
> building libiberty causes the header files and archive library to be
> installed when make install is run.
> This option also takes an (optional) argument to specify the
> installation location, in the same manner as --prefix."

What this really means is whether to install the headers.  The archive
lib is always installed (incorrectly, as this thread surmises.)

> I've not used that configure argument to gcc [ it's not listed by
> (gcc) configure --help  or on  http://gcc.gnu.org/install/
> configure.html  ] so presumably the html refers only to building the
> library as a separate project.

The output of the toplevel configure --help only lists options
implemented at the toplevel, which is only a fraction of available
options.  Just because it's not listed there does not mean anything,
because there are countless sub-configures.  It is listed if you run
libiberty/configure --help, and it works just fine if used to configure
gcc -- it does not apply just when building the library as a separate
project.  But as above, what it really determines is whether the
libiberty headers should be installed or not, and the default is no.

> That way the user can keep track of which version is being linked.

But you're missing the point: this copy that is installed is the
host-libiberty not the target-libiberty.  No code that gcc creates will
use this library, it is totally extraneous and you can just delete it if
it bothers you.  I think it's just an artifact of the fact that gcc
lives in a combined tree of many other packages, and the toplevel is
shared between all of them.

Brian