Re: Where should libiberty.a be installed?

On 3 Jun 2008, at 15:30, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

libiberty.a ends up in /usr/lib (and the multilib in /usr/lib/ ppc64)

This appears to be ignoring the "--enable-version-specific- runtime-libs" flags (which is honored AFAICT by all the other libs).

libiberty is not a runtime library.

I appreciate this, however, libiberty *is* installed into the user's DESTDIR.

Yes. However, it (the installed libiberty.a) isn't used by any of the installed GCC binaries, so it doesn't cause problems there.

OTOH, like I said, why is it installed at all by default?  Its header
files are not, so this would seem pretty useless.

agreed, either both lib/header or neither...

Note that (gcc) "make install-html" installs "libiberty.html" into the doc dirs which says (amongst other things):

-- that the library is used by "various GNU programs"

-- " Passing --enable-install-libiberty to the configure script when building libiberty causes the header files and archive library to be installed when make install is run. This option also takes an (optional) argument to specify the installation location, in the same manner as --prefix."

I've not used that configure argument to gcc [ it's not listed by (gcc) configure --help or on http://gcc.gnu.org/install/ configure.html ] so presumably the html refers only to building the library as a separate project.

I'd add my £0.02 - and say if it's installed at all - it would make sense for it to be installed along with the other gcc-version- specific .a files in lib/gcc/X.Y.Z
That way the user can keep track of which version is being linked.

Iain