Re: Integral conversions in C/C++

You negated an unsigned expression.

Nope. I multiplied a natural number by -1

Maybe that's what you wanted to do, but that's not what you did.

expecting to produce
an integer lange enough to hold the value of a natural number
which itself should be large enough to hold the result of a
multiplication of one natural number variable of limited range
and a relatively small natural number constant.  Clean a priori
information that is available to the compiler.

Hrm, when was the "read the user's mind" patch to GCC applied? I must have missed it.

The C/C++
backwardness, however, maimes it into something that probably
was the norm in the 70ies but is unacceptable in the 2000s.

If you don't like C, don't use C.

Anyway, this is now all completely off-topic for this list.  Go
find somewhere else to vent, please.

Segher