Re: Suddenly I need GMP and MPFR?

Rick Mann wrote:

On Apr 18, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Brian Dessent wrote:

See <http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html>.  gcc 4.2.x only required
them if you enabled gfortran, but 4.3.0 and on require them
unconditionally.

Thank you; I should've checked that first.

I'm not sure I understand how GCC uses these libraries. If I'm cross-compiling for AVR, shouldn't the library be built on AVR? This creates a new chicken-and-egg problem, doesn't it?

No, the libraries are only used by the compiler proper. They allow the compiler to do constant folding at compile time and get the same answer that the processor would have gotten.

If I build GMP/MPFR for Mac OS X using Xcode (assuming it'll even build; apparently there are issues with Apple's GCC), that will build libraries that execute on OS X/i386. Is that the only capacity in which GMP/MPFR are used by GCC?

Yes.

Or does it attempt to generate target code that uses it?

No.